Thanks to the generosity and expertise of Tower Light Ltd , the repairs to the west tower are now complete. The tower is no longer leaning and the rotator clamps are no longer slipping. A ground rod has been installed at the tower base. The beam is now resonating at 7.1 MHz instead of 6.9 MHz. Click on Photos link above to see details of this work. Many thanks to Tower Light for this generous donation.
- The antennas and mast were taken down on the afternoon of Friday, October 24th, 2014.
- On Saturday morning, the concrete foundation was excavated, leveled and back filled.
- During this earthwork, club members re-tuned the 40 metre beam by shortening both elements by exactly 3 feet. Also, twenty feet of damaged coaxial cable was replaced.
- A ground rod was driven beside the concrete base. The rod hit bedrock at 6 feet.
- The tower was erected back onto the foundation by noon on Saturday. Further work was halted due to very strong winds.
- The crew from Tower Light returned on Monday afternoon to lift the antennas and mast back to the top of the tower. All of the feed lines were re-connected.
- A bolt was drilled through to connect the rotator clamps to the mast. This will prevent any slippage.
- Club members are planning to re-install the G5RV onto this tower on Sunday afternoon, November 9th (wx permitting).
- It remains for club members to hook up the new ground rod to the tower frame.